About Parks & Recreation

The mission of the Parks and Recreation Department is to enhance the quality of life for all Residents of Crestwood and their guests by offering recreation and leisure opportunities, facilities, open space and related services.

The Parks and Recreation Department is part of the Department of Public Services. The recreation division administers the community center, recreation programs, the aquatic center, facility and shelter rentals, and special events. A ½ cent Park & Stormwater Sales Tax was approved by voters in August of 2000 with to help finance parks and recreation maintenance and operations.

The first Park Board was created by Ordinance 552 on October 27, 1959. While the first Park Board minutes date back to May 1962, the supervision of work orders, park permits, etc. were handled by a volunteer Park Commissioner. The full-time departmental operation started in 1976. The first park development began with Ferndale Park being given to the city. Sanders Park is believed to have once been owned by the sewer district. Spellman Park became part of the City when the area was annexed. Rayburn Park and the historic Sappington House site were purchased in 1961 following the passage of a park bond issue. By 1962 Crestwood Park had its total acreage acquired. The original eight-acre Whitecliff Park (formerly named the Vauk Land Park) was purchased in 1961, with the development beginning in 1965. In 1971 the City acquired 72 acres of Whitecliff Park through the Land and Water Conservation Fund and in 1999 the remaining five acres.

Contact Us

Parks & Recreation Department Offices (more)
9245 Whitecliff Park Ln
Crestwood, MO 63126
Get Directions

In This Department

Topics of Interest

More Information